2024 Scholarship Applications Opening in October 2022
Every year Huntingtower, in conjunction with the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER), holds scholarship exams for entry into Years 7, 9 and 10. Scholarships can be awarded to cover 25% to 50% of tuition fees, as Academic, General Excellence or Music Scholarships.
All scholarship candidates (including current Huntingtower students) must sit the ACER examination and provide their electronic portfolio for review.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited, together with their families, for an interview with the Principal or his delegate. A limited number of scholarships will be awarded based on the examination, portfolio review and interview. Scholarships are awarded at the sole discretion of the Principal.
It is important to note that schools do not share scholarship results with one another. Candidates must sit the Academic exam at Huntingtower on the set date to be eligible.
2024 Applications Open: Monday 3rd October 2022 at 9am
2024 Applications Close: Wednesday 1st February 2023 at 11.59pm
2024 ACER Scholarship Examination: Saturday 11 February 2023 to be held at Huntingtower
2024 Music Auditions: Sunday 12 February 2023 (Audition times for each applicant will be advised as soon as possible after the scholarship applications have closed).
Academic Scholarship candidates must be high achieving students who excel academically and who will also contribute to the school in many other areas. Shortlisted applicants will be invited, together with their families, for an interview with the Principal or his delegate. Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of examination, portfolio review and interview. Scholarships are awarded at the sole discretion of the Principal.
General Excellence Scholarship candidates must have achieved a high academic standard, plus excellence in at least two of the following areas: sport, music, leadership or community service. Shortlisted applicants will be invited, together with their families, for an interview with the Principal or his delegate. Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of examination, portfolio review and interview. Scholarships are awarded at the sole discretion of the Principal.
Music applicants must attend a Music audition as well as sitting the ACER Academic examination. Please note that audition times will be sent via email as soon as possible after applications have closed.
Auditions are available on the instruments listed in the below table. Please ensure that your child has obtained the required level of proficiency prior to the audition.
|Year Level||Instrument||AMEB Grade or Equivalent|
|Year 6 into Year 7||Violin / Pianoforte||Grade 5|
|Other String Instruments||Grade 4|
|Year 8 into Year 9||Violin / Pianoforte||Grade 7|
|Other String Instruments||Grade 6|
|Year 9 into Year 10||Violin / Pianoforte||AMusA|
|Other String Instruments||Grade 7|
- Two works should be presented
a) One accompanied work
b) One unaccompanied (solo) work
If you play a polyphonic instrument (piano, guitar, harp etc.), you will need to prepare two contrasting solo works.
Maximum overall time limit – 10 minutes.
- At the end of the audition, an aural and sight-reading test will be conducted, relevant to your instrument. The aural test will include short melodic and rhythmic exercises.
- Candidates should arrive at the warm-up room in the Huntingtower Music Centre at least 15 minutes before their scheduled time.
- Candidates need to provide their own accompanist. Backing tracks are only acceptable in the audition for non-melodic percussion instruments. Once you have completed your ACER online registration, please email the school with the full name of your accompanist together with your electronic portfolio to email@example.com. Please ensure you include the ACER candidate ID in the subject of your email.
- A copy of each work to be performed must be presented to the Head of Music at the commencement of the audition.
- Please make sure you bring some form of identification with your full name.
Please Note: Audition times will be sent via email as soon as possible after applications have closed.
All Music scholarship applicants are also required to sit the ACER Academic Examination.
How to Apply
Please follow and complete both steps below:
- All Scholarship candidates must complete the ACER online registration (link will be available here on 3 October 2022). You must complete the online form to officially register. Once you have completed your online registration, please save this form to lodge with your Portfolio documentation. Payment of $145 (2023 rate) is required at the time of registering online.
- Email the electronic Scholarship Portfolio as soon as you have received the end of year school report. The portfolio should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to 11.59pm Wednesday 1st February 2023. Please include your ACER candidate ID and candidate name in the subject of the email. No late applications will be accepted.
All applicants are asked to provide an electronic Scholarship Portfolio.
Please include the following documents in the Scholarship Portfolio:
- Cover letter with a statement written by the student, explaining why they would like to be considered for the Scholarship and how they believe attending Huntingtower would impact their future and what they would bring to Huntingtower.
- ACER online registration form
- School Report – please provide the latest full year school report (Semester 1 and Semester 2)
- A copy of the latest NAPLAN results
- Copies of any certificates of achievement, Sporting ability/achievements, Music ability/achievements, Leadership achievements and Community Service. If you would like to include a reference from a teacher, principal, sporting organisation, church group, community service organisation, etc. (this is not essential), please feel free to do so.
Current Huntingtower students are not required to provide written references from their teachers.
On the Day of the ACER Exam
All scholarship applicants (Academic, General Excellence and Music) must sit this Academic Scholarship Examination.
The Academic Scholarship Examination will be held at Huntingtower on:
Date – Academic Scholarship Examination – Saturday 11 February 2023
Venue – Huntingtower
Arrival Time – Please arrive no later than 8.30am
Conclusion – Approximately 12.00pm
What to bring on the day:
- Some form of identification of the candidate which indicates the full name.
- Two HB or B pencils, a pencil eraser and two blue or black pens.
Please do not bring rulers, mathematical instruments of any kind, programmable watches, mobile phones, photographic or other image/data capturing devices, books or notepaper.
There will be no correspondence sent by the school prior to the examination.
Scholarship interview appointments will commence after the school receives the results from ACER in early March.
If you have any queries, you are welcome to contact the school on 9807 8888 (8.30am – 4.30pm Monday to Friday) or alternatively you may email email@example.com.
Please direct any enquiries specific to the Scholarship Examination to ACER directly via the Parent Hotline is 1300 768 952.